As I sip on my matcha tea, I wanted to share the goodness that relieved my coffee dependence. Because I love it that much. My stomach refuses to digest coffee more than once a week so I had to find a drink that would rid my coffee cravings but still compensate for the caffeine high and bitterness. Although it only serves 35mg of caffeine per teaspoon of powder, it does a great job keeping me up while keeping the jittery bugs on the calm. As for the bitterness, it's only apparent if not dissolved completely. Uses range from drink concoctions to baking and cooking. I've even seen it used in homemade scrubs and face masks!
If you're new to this powerfood, matcha green tea is produced from the outer tips of young green tea trees and leaves, pulverized to a powder consistency, similar to baking soda. Because it's the whole leaf, the benefits normally found in traditional green tea are greatly concentrated and intensified when consumed as matcha.
1. Has more antioxidants (free radical fighters!) than berries: Goji, blueberries, and Acai. Including pomegranates. Therefore has more powerful effect towards fighting viruses & diseases, slows down aging, and protects against cancer (specifically an antioxidant polyphenol flavonoid called epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG)
2. Cleanses the blood by way of the chlorophyll. Being that it's highly alkaline, it keeps blood pH levels balanced. A more stable blood pH improves oxygenation to cells.
3. Has detoxifying and anti-bacterial properties similar to wheatgrass. *Matcha is much tolerable in taste* ;)
4. Helps lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL (good cholesterol) preventing heart disease & hypertension
5. Increases immunity with its high levels of antioxidants and vitamins
6. Great for weight loss by speeding up metabolism and EGCG promotes fat oxidation.
7. Suitable for diabetics (and prevention of diabetes) as its shown to stabilize blood sugar.
8. Being that it's anti-inflammatory, it alleviates digestive discomfort caused by bloating, gas, and inflammation.
9. Improves mental alertness and boosts energy while providing calmness. Catechins bind with the caffeine in tea and slows its release. L-theanine (natural amino acids) promotes relaxation, reduce stress and anxiety, and provides mental clarity.
10. EGCG contains anti-inflammatory properties, which helps prevent swelling and hinders plaque build-up in the arteries (medically known as "atherosclerosis") and helps in cardiovascular health as a whole
These are just a few of the myriad of nutritional benefits matcha green tea has to offer! Drink recipe & soup recipe soon to follow!